Thursday, January 1, 2015

Sono Arrivata a Firenze! (I’ve arrived in Florence!)


I've just arrived in Florence to begin my attendance at Florence Academy of Art. I’ve got a little bit of time before the trimester starts, so I’ve been exploring the city and learning my way around. Here are some photos of my experience so far:


First I went to Santa Croce. Here one can find the tombs of Dante, Rossini and Michelangelo, as well as paintings by Giotto.
Santa Croce Interior



Tomb of Michelangelo

Detail: tomb of Michelangelo

In light of the Christmas Season, this little Nativity was set up in Santa Croce.


Next, I took some time to wander the city a bit:

Side-street view of the Duomo
 
Someone is trying to recreate the bridge of love from Paris on Ponte Alle Grazie


Tiny Nutella jar which reads "Ti Amo", "I Love you." I love you too, Tiny-Nutella.

Picturesque doors are everywhere
Florentine street art. (I believe the term is Esspresione Urbana)

Seen in the streets of Florence

seen in the streets of Florence
...Later, I thought I was buying a museum-ticket, but by a happy mistake purchased the wrong ticket and ended up at the Bardini Gardens, and then the Pitti Palace:

Seen at the Bardini Gardens

Although not the sight I had planned on seeing, the view of the city from the gardens is spectacular.

the fountain outside the Pitti Palace

And that’s only the first day.
I can’t wait for school to begin, and to see what the rest of my stay has in store. 

Ciao for now!
 
Italian word for the day: Passeggiare, “to walk”. Florence is definitely a walking city!

No comments:

Post a Comment